The Rye Country Day School Financial Aid Program uses School and Student Services (SSS) to establish financial need. Parents of financial aid applicants need to complete the Parents Financial Statement (PFS) using the RCDS code 6208. (In the case of divorced or separated parents, the equivalent form from the non-custodial parent must be submitted as well.) The School also requires that applicants submit a copy of all federal IRS forms filed in the previous year as well as the most recent W2 forms. For more information about SSS, call or visit their website. Required forms must be submitted by December 15. If a student is accepted, financial aid responses will accompany admissions decisions.
Financial aid funds come directly from the resources of the School, and student awards consider the entire expense of attending RCDS. This factors in "extra" costs such as lunch, books, and other expenses. Furthermore, all financial aid students in Grades 7-12 (regardless of the grant size) receive a new laptop computer from the school as part of their financial aid package. RCDS also supports the cost of school-related trips for financial aid students at the same percentage as their financial aid award for tuition.
If you are interested in pursuing a financial aid application at RCDS, please be sure to mark the appropriate box on the Online Admissions Application. RCDS usually allocates its financial aid budget for new students by mid-February, and the granting of aid after this date is subject to availability of funds.
While we fund students from all three divisions, the majority of the grants are given to Middle and Upper School students. There are limited funds for Lower School students and no financial funds available for Pre-Kindergarten.
Questions about financial aid? Please visit Admissions FAQ or contact Courtney Doucette, Financial Aid Officer, at or Courtney_Doucette@ryecountryday.org.
- Complete the PFS online through the SSS website by December 15, 2019. The SSS database will open in early October. Because of the early timing, families need to estimate both years of income (2019 & 2020) that are requested on this form.
- Families must also upload copies of the most recent federal tax forms (2019) and W-2s (2019) to the SSS website by December 15, 2019. Applicants are required to submit all forms and schedules that they file in a given year, including returns for individual children.
- Grants are made by RCDS with the stipulation that all numbers will be verified with tax material from the current year as the information becomes available. Families are also required to upload their 2019 W2's (no later than 2/15/20) and 2019 Form 1040's (no later than 4/15/20)* to the SSS website.
- Families may be requested by the Financial Aid Committee to supply additional documentation and/or have personal meetings as needed. The Financial Aid Officer will print necessary copies of documents for the applicants file.
- Complete IRS Form 4506-T and submit it to the Financial Aid Officer. Please complete lines #1-4, sign, but do not date the form. Please note there is no fee for this form. RCDS reserves the right to request verification of tax information from the IRS. This form may be found online by clicking here.
- The School distributes financial aid grants simultaneously with admissions offers. Families will receive notifications in mid-February.
*The Headmaster must approve financial aid grants if there is an IRS tax filing extension until October.
- Is financial aid available at RCDS?
- How much financial aid is available at RCDS?
- Will I have to pay back my financial aid award?
- Does financial aid only cover tuition?
- Who are the students on financial aid at RCDS?
- How does one actually apply for financial aid at RCDS?
- How does Rye Country Day assess a family's financial need?
- What if our family is separated or I am a single parent?
- How does the timing of the financial aid application work?
- Will my application for financial aid influence my admissions decision?
- Will I continue to receive financial aid for the duration of my child's tenure at the school?
- While attending RCDS, will everyone know that my child is receiving financial aid?
- What should I do if I have more questions?
Rye Country Day School (RCDS) offers financial aid to qualifying families with children entering Kindergarten through Grade 12. Our financial aid program is need-based, which means the School does not offer academic, athletic, or merit-based scholarships of any kind. Financial aid is granted to families of qualified admissions candidates who demonstrate financial need. Please note that there is no financial aid offered for Pre-Kindergarten students.
No. Financial aid grants consider the entire expense of attending RCDS. This factors in "extra" costs such as lunch, books, and other expenses. Furthermore, all students who receive financial aid in Grades 7-12 (regardless of the grant size) are loaned a new laptop computer from the School as part of their financial aid grant. Although the computer is technically owned by RCDS, the student has use of this machine at home and during all vacations. Families will be billed $60 annually for insurance on the laptop. Finally, RCDS is also pleased to support school-related trips for students who receive financial aid. The School will support approved trips for students who receive financial aid at the same percentage as their financial aid grant (e.g., a family who pays 50 percent of our tuition would be asked to pay 50 percent of any school-related trip).
The School looks to support qualified students who will be able to contribute to school life in many ways. RCDS has students who receive financial aid in all divisions of the School (Lower, Middle, and Upper). Historically, the School has had a larger concentration of students who receive financial aid in the Middle and Upper divisions, but all families are welcome to apply. There are limited funds for Lower School students and no financial funds available for Pre-Kindergarten. Currently, our students who receive financial aid come from approximately twenty different communities in Westchester and Fairfield Counties, as well as Manhattan and the Bronx. Our families also come from a range of incomes and qualify for varying amounts of financial support.
The first step in applying for financial aid is to indicate your interest in financial aid on the Online Application for Admissions. Please note, our admissions literature addresses the financial aid process in general, but it can be helpful to speak with our Financial Aid Officer, Courtney Doucette, by phone (914-925-4542), e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or in person if you would like to complete a financial aid application.
RCDS uses School and Student Services (SSS) to establish financial need. For more information about SSS, call (800) 344-8328 or visit their website. Applicants for financial aid need to complete the Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS), which must be done online. SSS will notify the Financial Aid Officer when the PFS is completed. The School also requires that applicants electronically upload of all federal IRS forms submitted in the previous year, as well as the most recent W2 forms to SSS. All of these documents combined give RCDS an informed sense of a family's financial need. It is important to note that although RCDS uses SSS as a guide in this process, actual grants are always recalculated locally and distributed by the Financial Aid Office at RCDS.
Our students who receive financial aid come from a wide variety of family structures, and ultimately every family's situation is considered on a case-by-case basis. However, RCDS does have a clear policy for considering aid in separated/divorced situations. The Financial Aid Committee does consider financial resources that are available to the applicants from all parents (non-custodial and step-parents included).
The School distributes financial aid grants simultaneously with admissions offers. Since most of our admissions responses occur in mid-February, our financial aid application process must commence well in advance of this date. The SSS portal (in order to start your PFS) opens in late October. The due date for a completed financial aid application for prospective students is December 15th.
If your financial aid application is completed by the aforementioned deadline, then the answer is almost always "no." Financial aid and admissions are two separate processes at RCDS; our Admissions Committees do not consider financial need when evaluating the qualifications of an admissions applicant. While the financial aid budget is generous, it is not limitless. Applications for aid that are submitted after the December deadline can only be considered subject to the availability of funds. Sometimes RCDS is unable to make aid grants to all qualified students based on budgetary constraints.
Generally, yes. As long as a family's financial situation remains relatively unchanged, families should anticipate that their cost will remain relatively constant throughout their experience at RCDS. Grants can change in either direction depending on significant changes in a family's financial circumstances. Families must complete the PFS and submit supporting documents each year.
At any time during the financial aid process, please feel free to contact Courtney Doucette, Financial Aid Officer, at 914-925-4542 or email@example.com. Our goal is to make this process as efficient and clear as possible.