Cedar Street Dance Company
Cedar Street is a student dance company comprised of the most serious and dedicated dancers at Rye Country Day School. The company values technique, passion, hard work, expression, innovation, and creativity. Members work together to enhance the community through dance and performance. Through this, Cedar Street works to bring attention to the artistry and athleticism of dance.
A Cedar Street Apprenticeship is a yearlong member status in which students will work towards gaining the necessary technical and performance skills to become a full member. These apprenticeships are given to students who display great potential in their technique and performance, but still can benefit from building upon their current skill set. Apprentices will be required to be present at all rehearsals, always learning whatever choreography is being set. They will be expected to partake in technique classes throughout the school year with Mrs. Zanon. Additionally, apprentices will perform with the company for different events over the course of the year in varying degrees, with the potential to earn their full membership for the following year. At the end of the first year of an Apprenticeship, dancers will be evaluated to determine whether they will enter the next year as a company member or maintain their Apprenticeship status. An apprenticeship is a great opportunity to be a part of the company while allowing for progress and growth over time.
The Cedar Street Dance Company membership entails a full year, three-season commitment to Cedar Street Dance. Students who accept membership into the company may not play seasonal sports.
All members/apprentices are required to:
- Attend weekly rehearsals on Thursdays from 3:30-5:00 in the Fall and Winter.
- Rehearse from 3:30-5:30 on Wednesdays AND Thursdays in the spring season, plus two Saturday rehearsals, 12:00-5:00 to prepare for the concert.
- Perform in the Spring Dance Concert.
- Take a yearlong dance technique class, either through Art Elective or PE Dance.
* For example, taking the Art Elective dance class covers this alone. If you do not take that class, then the expectation is that you dance in PE classes throughout the fall, winter, and spring season for continuity. This is especially important for the spring season in which Cedar Street prepares for the dance concert.
- Be on time and prepared for all rehearsals. Absences must be made known in advance.
* Members/apprentices who miss rehearsal will not be guaranteed a spot in whatever movement is set that particular day
- Treat one another with respect
- Work as an ensemble, knowing that each member and apprentice contributes something unique and important to the company.
- Think about and review all choreography taught so that moving forward each rehearsal is seamless.
- Audition and take part in the Upper School Musical to broaden their dance experience here at RCDS!