Music Department Private Lesson Program (2020-21)
- Private music lessons are offered as enrichment to the student's education.
- Private lessons are offered in voice, piano, woodwinds, brass, and percussion. Lessons utilize the characteristic literature of the instrument or voice.
- Private lessons are taught by professional specialists who have been selected for their outstanding ability to teach and relate to young people.
- Private lessons are offered after school and during the day for students who have schedules that will permit them to be excused for private music lessons.
- Private Lessons will be offered virtually and may be available in person with strict adherence to appropriate social distancing guidelines and school safety guidelines.
- With the following exceptions, any interested RCDS student in Grades 4 –12 is eligible to take private music lessons.
- Students in Grades 2 – 3 who would like to take piano lessons will also be considered, schedule permitting.
- Private voice instruction is primarily encouraged for older students and should be discussed with the choir or lesson teacher prior to study.
- After-school piano lessons for students in Kindergarten and Grade 1 will also be considered, but this should be discussed with the lesson teacher prior to study.
RCDS Private Lesson Teachers
- John Ragusa: Trumpet
- Sara Della Posta: French horn
- TBD: Trombone
- Alex McCabe: Saxophones and Clarinet
- Dominique Soucy: Flute
- Lawrence Faucett
- Keith Burton
- Tom Kohl
- Sara Della Posta
- Jessica Zamek
- Be fully prepared for each lesson.
- Schedule time to practice.
- Comply with all school policies.
- Follow guidelines pertaining to absences (see cancellation policy below).
- Try their best in each lesson.
- Have fun!
Costs and Fees
- 30-Minute Lesson: $57.00/session
- 40-Minute Lesson: $65.00/session
- 60-Minute Lesson: $90.00/session
Private lessons occur once a week or once a six-day cycle. Parents are billed in advance (to the RCDS student account) in 12-lesson packages. There is a one-time registration and music supply fee of $65.00. Lessons are given in the Dunn Performing Arts Center.
Financial assistance is available to those families who receive financial aid.
RCDS Lesson Cancellation and Make-Up Policies
The tuition for private lessons pays not only for the lesson time but also lesson planning, parent consultation, and recital organization. Because the teacher clears his or her own schedule of other commitments to provide a regular lesson time and conflicts can arise for the student, the cancellation policy must be strictly followed out of mutual respect.
- Students may cancel a lesson for school trips or school absence without charge if they provide the teacher more than 24 hours notice. *
- In the case of illness only: the student may cancel by 8 a.m. the morning of the lesson without charge and be eligible for a make-up lesson at a mutually agreeable time. If the student does not wish to schedule a make-up lesson, the full lesson fee will be charged.
- If the student misses a lesson without proper notice, the entire lesson fee will be charged, and the student will not be eligible for a make-up lesson.
- If at any point the student wants to discontinue lessons, the student shall be responsible for payment for two more lessons after notification is received by the teacher.
- The School may suspend lessons if it seems to be compromising a student’s other schoolwork.
*NOTE: The School does not report absences to the private teachers. To cancel a lesson, you must call the teacher directly. Phone numbers are in the school directory.