Makerspace Apprenticeship Program (2017-18)
We are developing an apprenticeship program through which a small cohort of students will serve as leaders and mentors within our new Makerspace. Upper School students will serve as apprentices in the Makerspace, supporting the development of projects and preparation of materials for the younger students in the school.
Through this program, students will have the opportunity to be at the forefront of 21st Century advanced manufacturing technology by receiving training in developing their skills of rapid prototyping, problem-solving, and invention. This will also give students the know-how to operate and use the equipment, fortifying their confidence and removing some of their fear, allowing more time for creativity and exploration.
Additionally, we would like to explore ways in which students could work with teachers to develop innovative projects that support their curricula and make use of the technology in the Makerspace. This apprenticeship will provide students with time to collaborate with each other, and the autonomy and skills to become independent learners.
Students will serve others as part of their work as apprentices, and we can imagine a time when apprentices and other students in our Makerspace might also develop projects that serve our community and the non-profit partners of RCDS. Our hope is that our research, conversation, and collaboration with students, teachers, staff, and administrators will help us create a model for an apprenticeship program that can grow with the Makerspace.
Clapp, Edward P.; Ross, Jessica; Ryan, Jennifer O.; and Tishman, Shari: Maker-Centered Learning: Empowering Young People to Shape Their Worlds
Doorley, Scott and Witthoft, Scott: MakeSpace: How to Set The Stage for Creative Collaboration
Kaye, Cathryn Berger: The Complete Guide to Service Learning
Kelley, Tom and David: Creative Confidence
Martinez, Sylvia and Stager, Gary: Invent To Learn
Marymount School: From Prototype to Pitch: New Pathways in Design, Maker and Entrepreneurship Education
Robinson, Ken, Creative Schools: The Grassroots Revolution That's Transforming Education
Saujani, Reshma: Women Who Don’t Wait in Line
Wagner, Tony, Creating Innovators
- The Stanford D School Reading List: https://dschool.stanford.edu/resources/dschool-rea...
- 4 Things STEAM Could Achieve on Your Campus: http://www.academicimpressions.com/news/4-things-s...
- Making for the Community: Program Design Principles for Engaging Teens as Makers: http://stemforall2017.videohall.com/presentations/...
- MCHS MakerLab: https://sites.google.com/moreaucatholic.org/mchsma...
- MakerEd Resource Library: http://makered.org/resources/
- Project Ideas and Inspirations: https://sites.google.com/site/k12makers/project-id...
- Marymount Making and Learning Institute:https://making.marymountnyc.org/page
- Make Magazine (for project ideas and instructions): http://makezine.com/
- Adafruit (for Arduino Project ideas and ordering): https://www.adafruit.com/
- Fab Lab Community Page: https://www.fablab.com/
- MakeHaven Website (for instructions on how to use particular machines: http://www.makehaven.org/
- Iolani Kdg-6 STEMLab/FabLab/Makerspace: http://iolanik-6fablab.blogspot.com/
- Crane's K-8 Design and Engineering Center (DEC): http://craneengineering.blogspot.com/2016/09/why-i...
- Greenwich Academy Makerspace: http://www.greenwichacademy.org/page.cfm?p=712
- Moreau Catholic High School's Maker Lab: https://sites.google.com/moreaucatholic.org/mchsma...
- Westport Library: http://westportlibrary.org/services/maker-space
- NAFA, School Of 3D Design: http://va1s-shafiq.blogspot.com/
Middle School and Upper School Art Teacher
Computer Science Department Chair and Upper School Computer Science Teacher